Civic ·
St David’s Memorial Church · Grafton, Tāmaki Makaurau Auckland
St David’s Memorial Church was built as a living memorial to the members of the congregation who died in the First World War. The foundation stone was laid on Anzac Day, 25 April 1927, and the church opened on 13 October 1927, replacing an earlier wooden church that had stood on the site since 1902.
Designed by architect Daniel Patterson, who also designed the Auckland Central Fire Station, the church is built of red Kamo brick and Oamaru stone in the Gothic Revival style, with a square Gothic tower. Inside, rimu paneling, jarrah flooring and an oak pulpit surround a pipe organ built by New Zealand organ maker George Croft.
The congregation closed the church in 2020. The Friends of St David’s Trust purchased the building in July 2022 and reopened it progressively from 2021, fully by 2023, as Kāhui St David’s, a centre for music and community events. Kāhui means gathering, and the building keeps its memorial purpose alongside its new use, including an annual Anzac Eve remembrance event.
Tohu Heritage documented Kāhui St David’s in August 2026, preserving the church and its Great Hall in photorealistic 3D.
Visit the official Kāhui St David's website.